Wednesday, October 20, 2010

On-Ramp Etiquette

When leaving for work in the morning I take one particular on-ramp to the freeway. It's nothing spectacular and not usually all that busy. This on-ramp has 2 lanes, one of which merges with the other. It also has a temporary metering light and a "short merge" construction situation going on.

My first venture onto this on-ramp with the other commuters was a disaster. I took the right lane, the one that eventually merges with the left one, and proceeded like normal people do when there are 2 lane options. I didn't cut anyone off, didn't wait too long, I was exercising my right to use that right lane. Why was it empty anyways? There are TWO lanes here people!! When the merging commensed, I proceeded to merge and was denied, not by 1 car, but by numerous cars. No one would let me in. Why? I obeyed all laws and rules, I was not rude, I was using the lane for its purpose. I was mistaken, that's for sure.

While most on-ramps have this similar situation, this particular on-ramp has unstated rules of the road that must be obeyed. As commuters, none of us really want to be stuck in our cars in traffic at 6:50am so we are all not that happy to begin with. The commuters on this ramp have made rules to make their commute less stressful.

Rule 1: You see 2, there is only 1
There may be 2 lanes but we use one. We all line up peacefully in the middle of both lanes. There is no need to shove, push or honk, just assume your position and wait your turn. The whole thing takes maybe 7 minutes anyways, so hold tight.

Rule 2: Hell No You Can't Go
When a car proceeds to take up that right lane to merge with the other lane, do not let them in. They should have noticed that everyone else was politley getting along, there was no need to disrupt our system. You want over? Ya right, you're gonna have to wait till some poor sucker gives up and lets you in. It's a game of chicken buddy and you won't like the result.

Rule 3: Green = Gas
The meter light holds us up enough, when it turns green gas on it. Do not sit there and contemplate society, play in your purse, adjust your mirrors, or galk at yourself. Move bee-otch get out da way!

Took me 1 time of being the asshole who had to be let in by the sucker before I learned this rule.

Who knew there was on-ramp etiquette?

No comments:

Post a Comment